[aprssig] Limitations of D700a

KEVIN KIBBE kkibbe at rogers.com
Wed May 9 15:04:03 EDT 2007

I plan to purchase a Kenwood d700a (at Dayton) but I would like to hear some reasons why I might not want to. One of the reasons I like the idea of this radio is that I don't have to have a separate radio/tnc/display/computer in my Jeep. I can use my GPS display to plot and the radios display to read info. I am looking forward to seeing the new Hamhud V and I plan to look at it's features before I buy the Kenwood.

It is a shame that Kenwood didn't make the firmware upgradeable, if it was the purchase of the radio would be a no brainer imho.

So what cool features of APRS will I miss if I go with the d700a? I understand that Kenwood is about to have a new aprs radio but I like the price of the d700a these days at sub $500.

Kevin
VA3SU