[aprssig] Objects on APRS

Keith VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Tue May 1 14:26:59 EDT 2007

Bob WB4APR wrote...

> The way it is supposed to work (I think) is that the IRLP and
> the ECHO link "systems" centrally put out objects into the
> APRS-IS.  From there, any local Igate is supposed to know those
> IRLP's and ECHO link nodes in their immediate area and put them
> in the special gate-to-RF list.   If this is not how it is
> working, can someone summarize it for all of us?  Thanks Bob

That is exactly how they work. I understand there were in the past some IRLP
APRS status scripts that used a TNC to beacon the IRLP status over RF, but
the currently available scripts connect to the APRS-IS once each hour and
whenever the IRLP node status changes. Ideally, the local IGate will gate
that object out onto RF so mobile APRS stations can see the IRLP node and
it's status.

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH