[aprssig] Objects on APRS

Jim Fuller (N7VR) n7vr at fuller.net
Wed May 2 20:40:19 EDT 2007

Hi Bob,

That does not make sense to me.

The best place for the object is local RF. An IRLP, Repeater, Echo Link, in
Billings, MT are only good to the local APRS travelers n RF in the local
community. Therefore they need to be sent out on local RF. If they appear on
the APRS-IS it should be from being received from RF.

To ask an Igate Owner to constantly watch and update the gateway to
consistently put these on RF is adding to his work load. The work load
should be from the person or station generating the Object.

This is true of Hospital, EOC, Police, Fire and other objects. I would be
spending time every night changing the configurations. Further, there is
only so much bandwidth. I would not like to receive a call about all the
objects I am gating to RF.

It makes better sense for the local stations to generate the RF information.
The local traffic will benefit, then the APRS-IS can have it later where it
is really a waste of bandwidth for Florida from Billings, MT.

Jim Fuller
IRLP Node 3398
N7VR - http://www.fuller.net/n7vr.html
ARRL Montana Section Emergency Coordinator - http://www.mtares.org