[aprssig] xastir install!!! wowsa!

John Kraus jfkraus3 at cox.net
Sun Sep 26 16:03:47 EDT 2004

I am very impressed.

I followed these instructions and it worked quite well.  I did get a couple
of errors related to apt-get being unable to access the
ftp://metalab.unc.edu site but these errors did not prevent the XASTIR
installation.

My total time from start to finish was about 4 hours but this included the
installation of a spare 6.5GB hard drive into the AMD K-6 450 machine and
the wiping of all old data from that drive.

One caveat, once the system is up with Xastir enter your station location
and then zoom in dramatically. Pick zoom levels from about 100 down in
order to see street level maps. be careful with the USradar.geo
selection.  It is bogging down may machine for 4-15 minutes at a time and I
can't seem to get it to stop.

My one wish so far would be stop downloading button that would give me back
control of the program without having to wait for it to get around to me.
Once I selected USradar.geo I can't seem to get it unselected and every
attempt to change the map starts another wait.