[aprssig] conveying map view

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Thu Sep 23 14:09:10 EDT 2004

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004, Bob Bruninga wrote:

> I assume all software can already center and zoom
> on an ICON  once you know where it is.  In APRSdos, just click and hit
> HOME.  Done.

Xastir doesn't quite have that, but we can click on any area of the
screen and zoom in.  Problem is, if you're trying to zoom in on one
icon and have to zoom in a long ways, you end up missing the center
of the icon slightly and have to make panning corrections as you
zoom in.  We may fix that eventually be adding a "center" button to
the Station Info dialog, but until then I usually zoom by dragging a
box around the area of interest repeatedly until I get to the zoom
level I want.

> I think the idea here was to be able to force a screen to a view so that
> the user didnt have to find it first...  But I see this is fraught with
> problems... it will happen when you dont want it...

Well, we could create a new View dialog that had a list of the Map
View Objects and some info on them, then the user could choose one
(or not).  That would seem to solve the multiple event views,
multiple events, annoying map-view-sender problems.  Alternative is
that if you already are participating in the event and know where to
look for the objects, find the views that way instead.

> Oh, I know what I will do in APRSdos.  Since I already have a USER
> ACTIVITY flag in the code, I will just not allow the auto-center to occur
> if the the user is "active" in the last 3 minutes.  If he is not there,
> then his screen will center so that when he comes back he will
> see what the sender wanted him to see...
>
> Somethig like that?

I'm after something that is a "pull" instead of a "push".  I want
the end-user to be the one trying to change the map view, from some
list or set of objects that are present.  I don't want the remote
uses to be able to chance my local display settings.

If we can think of cases where one "controller" should be able to
change everybody's displays at once, then lets figure out a way
people can subscribe to that feature somehow so that the control is
limited.  Right now I don't see a need for that.