[aprssig] conveying map view

Bob Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Wed Sep 22 17:27:07 EDT 2004

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004, Curt, WE7U wrote:

> > The EYEBALL ICON if it has a RNGXXX descriptor will cause everyone's
> > map (if the feature is enabled) to CENTER and ZOOM to range RNGxxxx
> > on first receipt.
>
> I don't want that sort of operation.  I'd like either a dialog
> asking the user if he'd like to center/zoom to that eyeball, or have
> it be something the user has to select manually through
> manipulations on that object, such as right-clicking or
> double-clicking, then selecting that option.

Yes that is what I meant by "(if the feature is enabled)"
But if you have to "click on it, then you alredy know where it is
and already found it.  I assume all software can already center and zoom
on an ICON  once you know where it is.  In APRSdos, just click and hit
HOME.  Done.

I think the idea here was to be able to force a screen to a view so that
the user didnt have to find it first...  But I see this is fraught with
problems... it will happen when you dont want it...

Oh, I know what I will do in APRSdos.  Since I already have a USER
ACTIVITY flag in the code, I will just not allow the auto-center to occur
if the the user is "active" in the last 3 minutes.  If he is not there,
then his screen will center so that when he comes back he will
see what the sender wanted him to see...

Somethig like that?

Bob

Thus, there is no advantage to this process.

de WB4APR at amsat.org, Bob

MIM/Mic-E/Mic-Lite  http://ssdl.stanford.edu/mims/