[aprssig] Re: [CA APRS] Re: Puzzled

AE5PL Lists HamLists at ametx.com
Tue Sep 21 19:34:44 EDT 2004

Some applications are not intolerant of those characters because of the
packet mangling that has occurred over the years.  Nowhere in the
specification, to my knowledge, does it say that these are case
intolerant.  They are not case insensitive in NMEA strings.

I believe UI-View, APRS+SA, javAPRS, and others sanity check these
characters; so no, making them lower case is not backwards compatible.

73,

Pete Loveall AE5PL
mailto:pete at ae5pl.net