[TangerineSDR] A few thoughts after Monday night telecon

Bob Stricklin bstrick at N5BRG.COM
Thu Jun 8 10:08:43 EDT 2023

Regarding Pulsars…

Their emissions start at about 400 MHz and continue up into the GHz falling exponentially in strength as they go up in frequency.

Pulsars are very difficult to detect and typically the signals are in the noise level and require special integrating methods sometimes called folding because you are stacking sets of successive data streams.

Having a wide bandwidth receiver is an advantage which will increase sensitivity of the system but also bring in more RFI which will have to be filtered. Wide bandwidth and make the antenna systems more difficult. The antenna system is typically a narrow beam antenna tracking the pulsars position on the sky.

Pulsars would be nice but a very difficult case.

Bob N5BRG