[TangerineSDR] Magnetometer Testing

David Witten wittend at wwrinc.com
Sun Nov 1 17:08:28 EST 2020

Hi Jules,

Yes, I looked at 1.25, 1.5, 2.0 and 3.0 pipe.  The 3.0 stuff is really too
big, but swimming pool noodles (closed cell foam with a hole down the
center fit nicely into it.  But I don't see the advantage of using
something that requires a post hol digger.  I can't do it myself, and my
lot is probably almost all 'clean fill' over weathered limestone. Too much
work.

I found that extruded polyethylene foam insulation (meant for the outside
of 1" pipe) fits very snugly into the 2 inch pipe.  I don't know if that is
needed at all, but it is cheap and available.  I've also been playing with
plugs and shims made from 2 inch polystyrene rigid (pink) foam.  Again,
cheap, workable, and available nearby.

What is your opinion on cascading two mags on two of the new boards with
> different i2c addressing for the two?   My intent here is to get the two
> mags as physically close as possible without interaction to insure
> identical environments for more accurate comparison of the two mags.

Sounds worth a try.  I'm happy to make any mods to the software that are
needed to try this.  It sounds like a good two for (almost) the price of
one.

Thanks,

Dave Witten