[TangerineSDR] HamSCI Workshop Zoom Update

Dr. Nathaniel A. Frissell Ph.D. nathaniel.frissell at scranton.edu
Sun Mar 15 09:16:33 EDT 2020

Hi, everyone,

Here is an update. The science program committee and I have been working to get everything prepared for the electronic version of the workshop. As I said before, everything will be done via zoom. Oral presentations and invited talks will be as originally scheduled, and instructions for the electronic poster session are now posted at
https://hamsci.org/presentation-instructions-posters-and-demonstrations. We will be posting the ePoster schedule shortly.

There are some really good things that are coming out of this switch to an eWorkshop format. I think the best thing is that it will enable greater participation, especially from people who wanted to come but were unable to before. I've received many emails from people saying that they would now like to participate.

The good news is that Zoom has tools to run the workshop in a way that will allow large participation while still keeping things manageable. I'm planning on running the workshop using Zoom's webinar system, which will allow up to 100 panelists to share video and audio, and at least 1000 people to watch and actively participating by asking questions through a text chat system. We will have moderators monitoring the text chat system, and the moderator will have the ability to ask the presenter questions they see. Moderators will also be able to unmute participants or even promote them to panelist. We should have enough participant capacity to allow participation to all who want to.

It's taken us a few days to get this lined up, as Scranton's IT department has just upgraded their contract with Zoom over the past couple days to enable this workshop and other events on campus. I now have access to the webinar system, and can start building the links necessary for the workshop.

While we are getting the Zoom system set up and hamsci.org/hamsci2020 updated, I encourage you to go to zoom.us, set up a free account,  and start practicing with their system. You will be using the same client to login to the HamSCI workshop.

Over the next day or so, I'll be posting information on how to register for the online workshop. There will be no cost for this.

Thank you for your help as we all learn together how to have a successful online workshop!

VY 73 de Nathaniel W2NAF