[TangerineSDR] new tests of PNI RM3100

Julius Madey hillfox at fairpoint.net
Sun Aug 16 17:17:28 EDT 2020

All,
The attached PDFs document a 4.5 hour run with the underground mounted
RM3100 to achieve near constant temperature during a run. The voltage
regulator on the Dave's 0.0.10 remote adapter board was changed to an
AP2210 ultralow dropout type with a 3.0 volt output voltage which
matches the specified test voltage in the RM3100 data sheet and is well
within both the MCP9808 precision temperature sensor and the PCA9615
differential i2c extender. This modification substantially increases the
margin for voltage drop in long cable runs.  The modification is trivial
and uses the same solder pads as the original 1117 regulator.

The data plots are primarily for Hyomin.  There appears to be a
correlation between the X and Y axis plots and the reported values for
the Fredericksburg magnetic observatory on the Intermagnet site around
0400UTC.  Hyomin, can you check Jenny Jump during that same interval; NJ
is closer to me than Fredericksburg.  I currently have another run going
which should show some of the higher dB activity since then if the
earlier recording is not just coincidental.

Another question for Hyomin; is there value in doing a test with two
RM3100's, perhaps within 100 feet of each other as a check on uniformity
of response?

Jules Madey-K2KGJ