[TangerineSDR] Benchmarking Digital RF (HDF5)

Phil Erickson phil.erickson at gmail.com
Wed May 29 10:43:12 EDT 2019

Hi Bill,

  FYI, our software radar at MIT Haystack (Ettus USRP N210 hardware as the
source; GbE interface, running 25 complex megasamples / second at 16 bit
depth) goes to a recorder agent that formats to Digital RF.  This streams
about 191 MB/sec of HDF5 files produced by the Digital RF API to a ring
buffer inside a ramdisk, so going directly to memory.  A subsequent agent
processes power spectra with heavy reduction to a conventional spinning
disk set (RAID 6, I believe) with a GlusterFS** cloud overlaid.  This all
uses workstation/general purpose computing on Ubuntu platforms.  Note that
we directly run a cable between the USRP and the computer and do not have
it pass through any switches/routers.

  So I guess I don't have a data point because our RAM disk buffers any
slowdowns until we get it to spinning media.  We use a ~100 GB ram buffer
which provides probably 230 seconds of realtime soak per channel (x 2
channels for us).  I know that we tried writing the 191 MB/second to
spinning disks and it does not work - one needs SSDs at that rate.
Probably worth trying SSDs in your testing.

  Aside: we do find that writing continuously to spinning media makes it
die faster than normal since the manufacturers do not guarantee performance
with continual write unless you buy Enterprise/server grade hardware  - 10x
more expensive, naturally.  This is in line with Google's server farm
experience using JBOD or equivalent systems.

73
Phil W1PJE

** "GlusterFS is a scalable network filesystem suitable for data-intensive
tasks such as cloud storage and media streaming."  https://www.gluster.org

----
Phil Erickson
phil.erickson at gmail.com