[TangerineSDR] Benchmarking Digital RF (HDF5)

Tom McDermott tom.n5eg at gmail.com
Wed May 29 11:18:27 EDT 2019

Hi Phil - there are consumer HD that are designed for video surveillance
systems and are
specified for continuous duty writes.  Western Digital calls them
'Purple'.  Seagate calls
them Skyhawk Surveillance.  The pricing is reasonable,  4T for about $110
on Amazon.

WD Purple specifies the 4T to handle 180 TB write / year.   If PSWS writes
2 T / day then we
operate at 730 TB/ year.    That's PSWS using 2 antennas, 8 RF channels,
192 ks/s.
We may operate less on average depending on the science campaign.

I don't know whether the HD will actually handle that workload, or if it's
just a warranty play.

-- Tom, N5EG