[TangerineSDR] Benchmarking Digital RF (HDF5)

Tom McDermott tom.n5eg at gmail.com
Wed May 29 21:15:30 EDT 2019

I updated digital_rf (the MIT HDF5 based package) in gnuradio to
the latest, 2.6.1  running under gnuradio 3.7.13.5  and ran some tests.

The gr-hpsdr module tries to do a good job of accounting for dropped
packets.

1. SATA drive: 4ch x 192k seems to keep up with HDF-5 coding without packet
loss.
2. SATA drive:  4ch x 384k drops packets at about a 0.06% loss rate.
3. I set up a 8G ramdisk in Linux, then streamed 4ch x 384k to that, and
the loss rate is zero
for a few minutes.  Stopped at 7.1G before exceeding the ramdisk size.

So the updated HDF5 coder seems to work better than the V1.8 version that I
had.
But the SATA disk does seem to be causing some backups long enough to lose
data when
running at a 12.5 MB/s rate.

-- Tom, N5EG