[TangerineSDR] Data Engine Specification, Rev 0.1

Tom McDermott tom.n5eg at gmail.com
Wed Apr 24 23:31:22 EDT 2019

Hi Scotty - you've been busy!   Nice job on the document.

It may be useful to provide a little context for a few things:

1. There are a lot of connector for things I don't know anything about (and
have never heard of!).
 * Would it be useful to add some description about what the 'Click'
interface does, or how it might be used? Same for PMOD, Ultra96, GroveIO,
etc.
 * Same for all the various memory and flash units, etc. Which are in the
data path? control path?  Which are used for booting/loading the FPGA?
 * I know what an Arduino is, but why would there be such an interface on
the unit? Could we perhaps provide a useful example?

2. The document feels a little bit like the cart-before-the-horse.  For me
a system description would help
understand the DE a lot better.  It might provide more detailed examples
of:
 * How would this be used in the PSWS application? What sub-modules are
populated, what does each one do?
 * Which connector or submodules are not probably used for the PSWS?  This
could change with time of course.
 * What non-PSWS applications have needs that occupy some of the
connectors? What do those submodules do?

-- Tom, N5EG