[nos-bbs] VARA HF iface for JNOS 2.0 - Connections from JNOS to VARA modem

Bruce Nebergall K4TQL k4tql at dts-ga.com
Sat Jan 9 15:30:42 EST 2021

Maiko,

VARA HF iface for JNOS 2.0

Here's another Re:

I got VARA running under Linux Wine.  Actually I used Crossover Linux
because it's easier to
set up test bottles for different applications.  With a Terabyte drive,
I don't worry about
disk space.

As I said, I got it working basically under Wine 32 bit Windows 7
bottle.  Now I've got to
figure out what I did right so I can duplicate it.  Task underway.  I
use VARA as part of
an Air Force MARS message network.  Right now we are using BPQ but I'm
looking for a better
matched software that works under Linux.

I'm an old hand at NOS.  I and some others ported NOS to support
WA4DSY's high speed RF
modem.  Worked like a charm.  Internet killed the network.  The port was
called GRAPESNOS.
You may have heard of it.

I've looked at the source code to see if I could port it into something
more fitting to
AF MARS use that BPQ.  But, man, the code has changed worlds from what I
knew.  I'd have
a lot of catching up to do.  Don't know if this old (now) brain can do it.

I'll keep you advised as to my progress on VARA..

BTW, any reason why you dno't do Wine?

Bruce, K4TQL