[nos-bbs] VARA HF iface for JNOS 2.0 - Connections from JNOS to VARA modem

M Langelaar maiko at pcsinternet.ca
Sat Jan 9 15:58:12 EST 2021

Hey Bruce,

GRAPENOS, yup, I think BK told me about that one (I think) ...

Oh wow, so I should grovel at your feet HI HI, you would have
worked with Brian Kantor then correct ? He mentioned some of
the old WA4DSY days when I last chatted with him ...

SO, here's a 'secret' for anyone that wants to 'play' ***

IF you rsync the latest JNOS area on my official site, add :

    #define EA5HVK_VARA

to your config.h, then on each JNOS you can start comms to
their respective VARA HF windows modems something like :

JNOS A (on the cloud, accesses my VARA on client PC at home)

    attach vara vara0 256 10.8.10.21 8300

  watch the JNOS log for stats, when both ports are connected, run :

    varacmd "MYCALL VE4KLM"

    varamcd "LISTEN ON"

JNOS B (on another subnet here at home)

    attach vara vara0 256 192.168.100.102 8300

watch the JNOS log for stats, when both ports are connected, run :

     varacmd "MYCALL K4TQL"

     varacmd "LISTEN ON"

THEN on one of the JNOS instances, try this :

     varacmd "CONNECT VE4KLM K4TQL"

The two VARA modems should sync up and connect, THEN at
that point you can even try this on either (?) JNOS console :

     c vara0 ve4klm

  or

     c vara0 k4tql

depending which JNOS you are on.

That's the latest progress I have made, you will find however the
the ax25 connection I am trying to make stalls at some point, and
that is where I need to work on the buffering and flow control, etc.

Each Windows PC is line-in / speaker out to the other using a couple
of stereo cables, since at this point it's hard and really no point to try
it on an HF frequency when you have nobody to play with anyways.

HOWEVER to me this is great progress, the mechanics are in place.

Sorry for the length of this post, but now folks have something to maybe
fool around with. The VARA modem I used is of course trial version, so
the link speed probably is not helpful in fully testing it, but at some
point
I am sure I will pay Jose the fee and get the full version. It's pretty
cool !

I don't use WINE since I'm spoiled to have work computers with
fully licensed Windows systems (of any kind) at my disposal, so
it's no impact to run the extra program on them, and with VPNs
and other creative routing, it doesn't matter where my JNOS is
running as long as I have a network to my software modems.

It's been like that from 'day one', I tried WINE when it first came
out, but I was more interested in Virtual BOX and KVM, and Xen
and all that, and by then I working as an IT guy in corporations
that could afford windows licenses and such ...

Dare I say, but BPQ seems to have a grasp on things, it's been
out for a while I think, and seems quite stable and well in use.

Yes, internet killed the radio star, but the internet is still good for
lots of stuff, like getting software out to the masses of course.

I've just been fearing lately that JNOS is turning into just another
internet app, perhaps why I've become obsessed with the software
based IP connected modems over the past years.