[nos-bbs] DUPES and staggered forwarding

Michael Fox (N6MEF) n6mef at mefox.org
Fri Oct 23 20:16:50 EDT 2020

OK.  But, when I mentioned this problem a month or so ago, the conversation turned to the bid number.  So, I figured the two numbers may be related.  Anyway, I guess we will still have a problem.

I sent test data a while back that shows the message numbers in .usr role over much lower, not 999,999,999.  More like 5 digits.  When they do, the number assigned to the next message is lower than the number assigned to the previous message read by the user.  In determining whether a message is new, JNOS only seems to care if the message number is greater than the number stored in .usr for that call sign.  So, after the number rolls over, JNOS thinks that all new messages have already been read.  So, the user may log in and see “0 new messages”, even when there are many new messages.  The worst case is when the user reads a message with a high number, just before it rolls over.  In that case, JNOS might forever more tell them there are no new messages in that mailbox.

It’s easy to replicate at will.  If needed, I can go back and find my original report and the details of how to reproduce.  Let me know.

Michael, N6MEF

Sent from my iPhone