[nos-bbs] More errors for a newbie

Bruce Nebergall K4TQL k4tql at dts-ga.com
Thu Oct 3 07:35:58 EDT 2019

I finally got the new release alpha to install. I used an
autoexec.template and a files.tgz from an earlier JNOS2
release, put them in a separate directory together with
the with the three files from the new compile and got a
working system.

Issues I'm having now, it asked for my call sign and password.
Fine.  When I went to bring up the BBS, it would not take
my login saying it was an incorrect password.

I looked into the ftpusers folder and found my call sign,
the password in plain language, followed by a directory which
I presume is my "home" directory and that followed by a string
which I would suppose is my hashed password.

It's been a looooong time since I really messed with NOS of
any flavor.  I've been looking through all sorts of docs
referenced on the JNOS2 site.  Some things I can't find:

1.  How do you add a new user to the system?  It appears
that it might be the ftpusers folder (file?).  Is it a
manual operation or is there a command to do it?  If manual,
how is the hashed password created?

2. How do you get out of the bbs when it is in the login
prompt?  Control C doesn't work.  It finally just times
out.

3.  What could be the reason for my login to the BBS not to work?

4. I am unfamiliar with the tun0 interface.  It isn't on my
system (LinuxMint 19.1).  How do I create it?

Like I said, it's been a loooong time.

Bruce, K4TQL