[nos-bbs] New here - beginner getting started questions

Michael Fox - N6MEF n6mef at mefox.org
Fri Jun 2 13:06:04 EDT 2017

Devin,

I didn't see any responses to you.

First:  welcome.

Second:  The easiest way to start is to create a packet station with a TNC and connect to an existing BBS.  Jumping right into operating the BBS/server when you have no experience with the client is running before you can crawl.
The following web page summarizes our local equipment recommendations for individual packet stations:
http://www.scc-ares-races.org/packet/packet-station-equipment.html

Our users use the Outpost packet client.  Very nice.
http://outpostpm.org/index.php

You'll have to check with your local ham clubs regarding locating nearby BBSs. If you can't find one, then you can learn a lot with two TNCs/radios, one to connect to the other.  From the client perspective, it's virtually identical to connecting to a multi-user BBS.

Third:  If you are set on running your own JNOS BBS, you'll really want to run it on Linux.  I know many people use Ubuntu, but other distros also work.  Not much processing power is needed.  Some folks run on as little as a Raspberry Pi.  Most of your old machines will probably work.

The following two web pages summarize what we recommend for local folks who want to get into running a BBS and who may ultimately want to be one of our BBS sysadmins.
http://www.scc-ares-races.org/packet/linux-for-bbs.html
http://www.scc-ares-races.org/packet/jnos.html

Note that these pages are slanted to our particular environment, which uses JNOS on Ubuntu and which focuses on commercial-level uptime/availability.  Hobbyist-level requirements will be somewhat less intense.

BTW:  My recollection is that the JNOS installer mostly works, but generates a default config file (autoexec.nos) that's not quite right.  If I remember correctly, it doesn't set the mycall/bbscall correctly.  But I don't recall the specific problem.  The version of the binary that it installs is also old, but you can always compile a new binary once you get started.

Good luck,

Michael
N6MEF