[nos-bbs] New here - beginner getting started questions

devin davison lyokoboy0 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 1 18:55:40 EDT 2017

Hello, my name is Devin. I have had my Amateur technicians licence for
about 3 years now, call sign KM4BOE. I have had an interest in packet
and digital modes for a while, but have not gotten much done yet. I
Have  a few different TNC's to get started with.

I am interested in getting a NOS variant running under DOS and UNIX.
It may not be the most practical thing in the world, but i was trying
out jnos on an 8088 luggable pc. Aside from not knowing how to
configure things, it seemed to be working well enough. I also have a
large collection of old machines that run UNIX. they already run full
time under a dialup modem, i was looking to make them do a bit more
and see if i could get a nos variant running full time.

I know quite a bit about old computer hardware and such, however i
have limited knowlege when it comes to radio. I am looking for advice
to get me moving in the right direction. What needs to be done to get
my hardware on the air and connected to other systems? Is there any
database of other machines near me that i can link to?

--Devin