[nos-bbs] bleeding this versus bleeding that

Michael Fox - N6MEF n6mef at mefox.org
Tue May 10 23:01:40 EDT 2016

Hi Maiko,

Whether the default should be the new behavior (obey the RFC regarding telnet IAC) or the legacy behavior (ignore telnet IAC) is largely philosophical.  An argument can be made either way.  I don't have a strong preference either way, as long as the functionality exist to deal with both incoming and outgoing connections of either type on a per-forwarding-partner basis (i.e. turn on/off compression, IAC, CRONLY in either direction).

Concerns:
1) Bob Tenty reported some address problems, but I don't know if he was reporting bleeding1 or bleeding2 or both.  It would be good to clarify.

2) Bleeding1 still has problems with compressed FBB over telnet.  I reported several problems with bleeding1, including JNOS logs and telnet traces for each.  I summarized the list in a later email.  I can resend if needed.

3) Once the new functionality is final, it would be a huge help if you could summarize which configuration options still exist.  For example:
-- telnet server options (like noiac and others?)
-- incoming login options (like preceding call sign with a ".")
-- outgoing telnet options (like "!" and noiac, cronly, ... others?)
-- incoming session options in mbox (like mbox nob2f)
Once we know all of the "ingredients", we as a group should be easily able to come up with a recipe for each combination of forwarding between JNOS with other BBS types.

As always, thanks for all you do.

Michael
N6MEF