[nos-bbs] Telnet password management

Michael E Fox - N6MEF n6mef at mefox.org
Tue Dec 2 15:33:44 EST 2014

Hi Jay,

Thanks.  Yes, that may be o.k. for a private LAN/WAN.  And some may find the
exposure acceptable for 44-net only traffic.  But I'd like to make Telnet
available from other nets, perhaps the Internet.  Unfortunately, our logs
show daily attempts to run port scans and other types of attacks.  So
setting univperm or even tcpperm to * is not something we want to expose
ourselves to.

My high level idea would be a lightweight addition to jnos that would allow
an authentication server to be defined (much like we define an SMTP server
or DNS server).  Perhaps more than one can be defined, like DNS, and it will
use them in priority order.  If the server is not defined, JNOS handles
authentication locally, just like today.  If the server is defined, JNOS
attempts to contact the authentication server (or tries each of them, in
order, if multiple are defined, just like DNS).  If JNOS contacts the auth
server, then authentication is done by the auth server.  If the server is
not reachable, JNOS drops back to local authentication.  So you would define
the sysops in both places, but the regular users only on the auth server.
Users would be able to go to a website, perhaps to reset their password.

It's a pretty common model.  But I'm not enough of a JNOS or linux expert to
suggest precisely which components would be required and where.

Michael
N6MEF