[nos-bbs] RIP woes

Michael E. Fox - N6MEF n6mef at mefox.org
Wed Nov 6 13:30:27 EST 2013

I hear you.

But for a few days, nobody mentioned this (including you)  ;-)

And, I did read the release notes a while ago.  But this didn't click.
Perhaps because the description below is a bit confusing.  The description
would suggest that JNOS ignores RIP routes tagged other than IPIP, period.
And that the IGNORE_RIP_TAG only affects improperly set tags.    But that's
not really the case.  A Route Tag of 0 is not improper.  In fact, a tag of 0
is the default for regular RIP routers.

So, I would suggest:

1)  add "undef IGNORE_RIP_TAG  /* define to allow non-IPIP RIP (route tag =
anything) */" to config.h
This makes it easy to notice that something is restricting the RIP routes.
And it makes it easy to modify with 'sed', for those of us who use a little
script to apply our standard settings to config.h

2)  Change the release notes description to:
"By default, JNOS ignores RIP routes with a route tag other than '4' (used
by AMPRnet for IPIP routes).  This is controlled in config.h by "#undef
IGNORE_RIP_TAG".  To allow RIP to accept any route tag (including standard
RIP routes), change "#undef IGNORE_RIP_TAG" to "#define IGNORE_RIP_TAG"...
(or something to that effect).

Michael