[nos-bbs] two jnos computers on same lan... correction

Mark Phillips g7ltt at g7ltt.com
Wed Jan 2 03:18:15 EST 2013

I think I see the issue.

You are running the jnos side of the tunnel on the same subnet as your
LAN.  So .......

Your ARP lookups are failing. Check your trace screen for proof.

I'll bet that you cannot reach JNOS from other machines in your shack?

Each end of the tunnel expects the other end to be directly connected to
the LAN per the netmask setting but this is in fact not the case.

Either do an "arp publish" on both Linux machines which will tell the rest
of your LAN where to find the JNOS instances or do a "route addprivate" on
each JNOS which goes directly to the other Linux host.

Either way this is not an elegant solution. I would go for the arp solution
myself.

You should also write a private route from one 44 address to the other such
that nothing gets encap'd between the JNOS's. If you don't do this your
data from one 44 address to the other will get wrapped up, sent out to UCSD
and then get sent back to your other machine.

There are probaly other ways of doing this too.

Mark