[nos-bbs] two jnos computers on same lan... correction

jerome schatten romers at shaw.ca
Wed Jan 2 12:01:36 EST 2013

Hi again Mark... I answer in-line:

On Wed, 2013-01-02 at 03:18 -0500, Mark Phillips wrote:
> I think I see the issue.

I think you do too!

> You are running the jnos side of the tunnel on the same subnet as your
> LAN.  So .......

Yes -- quite true.

> Your ARP lookups are failing. Check your trace screen for proof.

Also correct!

> I'll bet that you cannot reach JNOS from other machines in your shack?

If you mean by 'reach', 'able to ping', you are correct once again; I
cannot.

> Each end of the tunnel expects the other end to be directly connected
> to the LAN per the netmask setting but this is in fact not the case.

The netmask on the router is 255.255.255.0 . I'm not sure what you're
getting at here. In the case of separate machines on the lan, the jnos
sides of the tun interface are not connected (which I see as the problem
I'm trying to solve).

> Either do an "arp publish" on both Linux machines which will tell the
> rest of your LAN where to find the JNOS instances or do a "route
> addprivate" on each JNOS which goes directly to the other Linux host.

Can you give me an example of the syntax for doing the 'arp publish'?
Would 'arp publish 44.135.160.40 ax25 ve7ass-1 tun0' be correct for one
side? I have arp eaves turned on for each machine.

> Either way this is not an elegant solution. I would go for the arp
> solution myself.
>
> You should also write a private route from one 44 address to the other
> such that nothing gets encap'd between the JNOS's. If you don't do
> this your data from one 44 address to the other will get wrapped up,
> sent out to UCSD and then get sent back to your other machine.

I can't see how to do this as there is no common interface between the
two machines except the router at 192.168.1.1 . Thus it would have to
be:
'route addp host1 interface host2' where the interface is the tun device
and it speaks to the router (which I think may be the case).

> There are probaly other ways of doing this too.
>
> Mark

Thanks,
jerome ve7ass