[nos-bbs] New 2.0j.3 Winlink smtp feature

Demetre SV1UY demetre.sv1uy at gmail.com
Tue Aug 27 05:30:51 EDT 2013

On Tue, Aug 27, 2013 at 7:53 AM, Bill Vodall <wa7nwp at gmail.com> wrote:
> Sorry about the null message.  Google keeps improving their gmail and good
> old squirrelmail is looking better all the time.

Hi Bill,

I'm also getting sick of Google and their new innovations that come
out every other month or so, or maybe I'm just getting old, hi hi
hi!!!

> That's just what I thought when I first experienced this in Winlink many
> years ago.   I've since observed this is apparently an early Windows
> (exchange?) email convention that the Winlink folks were following. Since
> then it appears the winlink system is smarter and the 'smtp:' nomenclature
> is no longer required.
>
> I think that comes from the early days when smtp wasn't such a standard for
> email as it is today.  Then it made sense to explicitly send emails by smtp.

Hmm, don't forget that most of the early Winlink developers had no much clue
about TCP/IP especially over Amateur Radio, infact many of them among many
others have been against any kind of TCP/IP over AX25 for many years and maybe
they still think this way!

As for the topic, I think I agree with Michael's statements and yours.

--
73 de SV1UY
Demetre Ch. Valaris
e-mail: demetre.sv1uy at gmail.com
Radio e-mail: sv1uy at winlink.org
(to use my radio e-mail put //WL2K in the beginning of the subject line)
http://www.qsl.net/sv1uy