[nos-bbs] New 2.0j.3 Winlink smtp feature

Bill Vodall wa7nwp at gmail.com
Tue Aug 27 00:53:54 EDT 2013

Sorry about the null message.  Google keeps improving their gmail and good
old squirrelmail is looking better all the time.

> **
>>
>> Put another way, the explanation to users will be something goofy like:**
>> **
>>
>> If you are sending to Winlink and NOT a regular Internet SMTP address,
>> then add a prefix of “smtp:” to the destination address.****
>>
>> If you are sending to a regular Internet SMTP address, do NOT use the
>> “smtp:” prefix. ****
>>
>> ** **
>>
>> With all due respect, (truly!), unless I’m missing something, that’s
>> really messed up.

That's just what I thought when I first experienced this in Winlink many
years ago.   I've since observed this is apparently an early Windows
(exchange?) email convention that the Winlink folks were following.   Since
then it appears the winlink system is smarter and the 'smtp:' nomenclature
is no longer required.

I think that comes from the early days when smtp wasn't such a standard for
email as it is today.  Then it made sense to explicitly send emails by smtp.

Bill