[nos-bbs] JNOS Connect Fail

Michael Curry dgspotman at gmail.com
Thu May 31 11:27:19 EDT 2012

The problem is almost certainly with the Argent T2-135. I had exactly the
same issues about a year ago when attempting to contact a local Winlink
node using both:

- a T2-135 with a DR-135 and
- an external Tracker 2, with both the DR-135 and a GE MVS

See this thread in the Tracker 2 Yahoo forum:

For what it's worth, I did send Scott the sample audio files mentioned in
the thread, but he never got back to me on whether the T2 could
successfully decode them or not. I finally gave up, but maybe if you hit
him again (especially now that Dayton is over for this year), reference
that thread, and maybe send him some audio files of your own, we might
finally be able to get to the bottom of this.

Michael, KI6TYV

On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 7:40 AM, Kurt Kochendarfer <ke7kus at gmail.com> wrote:

> I just downloaded and compiled the source for JNOS 2.0j and am
> attempting to set up a JNOS node/BBS.  The source compiles fine.  I have
> built a basic autoexec.nos file, and JNOS starts fine when I run it.
> The radio is a DR-135T running an Argent Data T2-135 TNC in KISS mode.
>
> My problem lies in connecting to a local TheNet X1J4 node.  Each time I
> attempt a connect, JNOS transmits the SABM frame, receives the UA frame
> response, and then simply does nothing. Using a second modem I was able
> to decode the packets between my JNOS node and the X1J4 node:
>
> fm KE7KUS-15 to WHTNKS-0 SABM+
> fm WHTNKS-0 to KE7KUS-15 UA-
>
> This sequence will repeat over and over again at a decaying interval
> until I cancel the connect.  Once I do that, the X1J4 node will send RR
> frames until it times out:
>
> fm WHTNKS-0 to KE7KUS-15 RR0+
> fm WHTNKS-0 to KE7KUS-15 RR0+
> fm WHTNKS-0 to KE7KUS-15 RR0+
> fm WHTNKS-0 to KE7KUS-15 RR0+
> fm WHTNKS-0 to KE7KUS-15 RR0+
>
> When I attempt to connect to the X1J4 node using my second modem
> (soundmodem on a Linux box and JNOS 2.0i) I have no issues with the
> connect and it works as it should.
>
> It seems the JNOS node via the KISS TNC is having trouble decoding the
> UA response from the X1J4 node.  This was confirmed by monitoring the node
> frequency for 24 hours, then running Jheard in JNOS.  It shows no packets
> heard from the X1J4 node.  I am at a loss as to what
> should be corrected to fix the problem.  I'm rather new at packet, so
> any pointers in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.
>
> 73,
> Kurt
> KE7KUS

This cat is pushing a watermelon out of a lake. Your argument is invalid.