[nos-bbs] JNOS Connect Fail

Kurt Kochendarfer ke7kus at gmail.com
Thu May 31 10:40:06 EDT 2012

I just downloaded and compiled the source for JNOS 2.0j and am
attempting to set up a JNOS node/BBS.  The source compiles fine.  I have
built a basic autoexec.nos file, and JNOS starts fine when I run it.
The radio is a DR-135T running an Argent Data T2-135 TNC in KISS mode.

My problem lies in connecting to a local TheNet X1J4 node.  Each time I
attempt a connect, JNOS transmits the SABM frame, receives the UA frame
response, and then simply does nothing. Using a second modem I was able
to decode the packets between my JNOS node and the X1J4 node:

fm KE7KUS-15 to WHTNKS-0 SABM+
fm WHTNKS-0 to KE7KUS-15 UA-

This sequence will repeat over and over again at a decaying interval
until I cancel the connect.  Once I do that, the X1J4 node will send RR
frames until it times out:

fm WHTNKS-0 to KE7KUS-15 RR0+
fm WHTNKS-0 to KE7KUS-15 RR0+
fm WHTNKS-0 to KE7KUS-15 RR0+
fm WHTNKS-0 to KE7KUS-15 RR0+
fm WHTNKS-0 to KE7KUS-15 RR0+

When I attempt to connect to the X1J4 node using my second modem
(soundmodem on a Linux box and JNOS 2.0i) I have no issues with the
connect and it works as it should.

It seems the JNOS node via the KISS TNC is having trouble decoding the
UA response from the X1J4 node.  This was confirmed by monitoring the node
frequency for 24 hours, then running Jheard in JNOS.  It shows no packets
heard from the X1J4 node.  I am at a loss as to what
should be corrected to fix the problem.  I'm rather new at packet, so
any pointers in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

73,
Kurt
KE7KUS