[nos-bbs] JNOS version numbers

Chris kc2rgw at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 18:18:48 EDT 2012

Generally

2.0.x where the x increments for bug fixes 2.0.1 2.0.2 etc

2.x where you add new features 2.1 2.2 etc

x where you do a 'full release' whatever that means, maybe a rewrite or overhaul

3.0

Or the bit more convoluted

2.0.1-x  for bug fixes 2.0.1-1  2.0.1-2 etc

Those are fairly mainstream.

Some sort of indicator is handy for those who leave the build trees
lying around.

On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 6:14 PM, Maiko Langelaar <maiko at pcs.mb.ca> wrote:

>> why you are not incrementing the minor version number (letter)
>

> Good question. I should smarten up on that I guess. I mean I am not
> even using a very *long* version number. Probably should be more then
> just 2.0i - to me it makes no sense to bump up the letter (in my case,
> since that's all I use). Maybe it really should be changed so that it
> is more like 2.0i.X, where X is the one that changes each time I do a
> small change. Usually I change the letter when I put out an 'official'
> release (ie, a tar file as opposed to RSYNC). Sigh ...
>
> Time to read what the *standard* is I guess. Good point !
>
> Maiko

73  de Chris -- KC2RGW
KC2RGW at W2LI.#NNJ.NJ.USA.NOAM