[nos-bbs] JNOS networking

Jim Smith lanshark at charter.net
Sat Feb 18 22:05:12 EST 2012

Oog. Using iptables to forward JNOS traffic from the Ethernet port to the
JNOS process is like using sledgehammers to kill flies. It works and is
stable, but IMO not worth the effort.

Somewhere in the archives of this list (I think) is a post from myself on
how I do it. Basically I create a tunnel (using the tun device), then shell
out to create an ARP entry that links the linux end of the tunnel to the MAC
address of the Ethernet interface. This causes any traffic on the wire for
the tunnel leading to the JNOS process to be picked up by the Ethernet
interface and passed to the tunnel.

I find my way to be a darn sight easier to configure than fiddling with
iptables. One day I may formally write it up and submit it to <insert site
here> so that others can benefit.

Cheers!

Jim N8AVX