[nos-bbs] JNOS networking

Andre andre at pe1rdw.demon.nl
Sat Feb 18 11:58:23 EST 2012

Op 18-2-2012 17:12, Mike Swiatkowski, AA9VI schreef:
> Hi guys,
>      I am trying to get JNOS 2.0i to work on the network. I have it on
> my Debian 6 linux box.  I can telnet from the linux box into the JNOS
> IP.  However, I cannot do three things I think I should be able to do:
> 1) telnet from PCs on the LAN (that don't have JNOS installed) to the
> JNOS machine
> 2) telnet out of JNOS into another BBS.  If I can telnet from the PC
> to ve4klm for example I should be able to telnet from the jnos> prompt.
> 3) Telnet from the outside world into the JNOS box
>
> Ok, the router is configured to forward port 23 to the JNOS LAN IP.  I
> also enabled ax25.  This is where it gets confusing.  JNOS does not
> seem to like if you kissattach manually before startnos.  So, I think
> autoexec.nos is doing the port attachment.  I am attaching my
> autoexec.nos below in hopes someone can tell me what is not right.
> The JNOS manual on Maiko's site is good for commands and KF8KK has an
> older step by step explanation of the install.  But, there does not
> seem to be a current user guide that talks about the installation from
> a new user point of view.  Lots of details are left for weeks for
> frustration, unless you are a pro with linux networking.  I only
> consider myself an intermediate user. What else am I missing?  Do I
> need to open up or initialize anything more on the linux box?  Please
> don't assume I did everything you're supposed to because it's not
> really documented what exactly you are supposed to do step by step.
>
> Thanks for your suggestions and here is the autoexec.nos file.
> Obviously it's borrowed from VE4KLM and some stuff I don't use is
> commented out.
>
> Mike, AA9VI

Sounds like you are expecting jnos listen to the lan but jnos is simply
not aware of your lan, it only sees the host system trough the tun link,
you will have to configure your linux system to forward ip between lan
and jnos.

it's been a while I played with it but checkout iptables, it should be
able to listen for ip frames for jnos and forward them on.

73 Andre PE1RDW