[nos-bbs] JNOS networking

Mike Swiatkowski, AA9VI aa9vi at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 18 11:12:38 EST 2012

Hi guys,
     I am trying to get JNOS 2.0i to work on the network. I have it on my Debian 6 linux box.  I can telnet from the linux box into the JNOS IP.  However, I cannot do three things I think I should be able to do:
1) telnet from PCs on the LAN (that don't have JNOS installed) to the JNOS machine
2) telnet out of JNOS into another BBS.  If I can telnet from the PC to ve4klm for example I should be able to telnet from the jnos> prompt.
3) Telnet from the outside world into the JNOS box

Ok, the router is configured to forward port 23 to the JNOS LAN IP.  I also enabled ax25.  This is where it gets confusing.  JNOS does not seem to like if you kissattach manually before startnos.  So, I think autoexec.nos is doing the port attachment.  I am attaching my autoexec.nos below in hopes someone can tell me what is not right.  The JNOS manual on Maiko's site is good for commands and KF8KK has an older step by step explanation of the install.  But, there does not seem to be a current user guide that talks about the installation from a new user point of view.  Lots of details are left for weeks for frustration, unless you are a pro with linux networking.  I only consider myself an intermediate user. What else am I missing?  Do I need to open up or initialize anything more on the linux box?  Please don't assume I did everything you're supposed to because it's not really documented what exactly you are supposed to do step by step.

Thanks for your suggestions and here is the autoexec.nos file. Obviously it's borrowed from VE4KLM and some stuff I don't use is commented out.

Mike, AA9VI

#
# ---------------------------------------------------------------
#  autoexec.nos from aa9vi's JNOS 2.0c4 System - March 18, 2005
#
#  I have one IP address assigned to me in the internet world,
#  and it is a static allocation (it does not change). I have a
#  firewall router between my computers and the internet, so my
#  linux box is just another computer on the internal network.
#
#  I run JNOS 2.0 as an application on my linux box. The JNOS is
#  networked to linux using the TUN network device. Your linux has
#  to support the loadable tun.o kernel module for this to work.
#
#  My connectivity to the AMPRnet (44/8) is done using an IPUDP
#  tunnel to my static host N1URO. IPUDP allows you to do the 44
#  encap (ipip) through a firewall router, but you need a static
#  host to accomplish this. Efforts are underway to try and get
#  this IPUDP protocol to be supported right at mirrorshades,
#  in which case the need for a static host would no longer be
#  required. Hopefully, one day this will happen ...
#
# ---------------------------------------------------------------
#
#  My configuration is quite unique and not standard. In particular,
#  please keep in mind that you can not just set up an IPUDP tunnel to
#  anyone you want. You need to make PRIOR arrangements with a static
#  host before you do this. This same rule applies when setting up an
#  AXIP or AXUDP tunnel to another host. It's a matter of security,
#  and (of course) courtesy.
#
# ---------------------------------------------------------------
#
# The following entry turns on the master logfile, which is written
# to the '/jnos/logs' directory. The file name is dated, and would
# look something like '/jnos/logs/17Mar05' for example.
#
log on
#
# The following entries are meant to maximize TCP performance for my
# ethernet (LAN) interface. These are global defaults that apply to a
# standard LAN with 'mtu' of 1500 bytes. If you decide to run TCP over
# radio ports, you will have to override these defaults using 'ifconfig'
# on the specific radio ports. The values will no doubt be smaller.
#
tcp mss 1460
tcp window 5840
tcp maxwait 30000
tcp retries 5
#
# Replace the next 3 values with your own !!!
#
hostname aa9vi.ampr.org
ip address 44.72.64.10
#ip address 192.168.128.131
ax25 mycall aa9vi
#
# Domain Name Services (local domain.txt file only)
#
domain suffix ampr.org.
#
# Only configure a name server if you are connected to the
# internet. If you are not connected to the internet, and want
# to use what's available in the /jnos/domain.txt file), then
# you need to COMMENT OUT the following entry. The following
# entry in fact points to my firewall router.
#
domain addserver 192.168.128.1
domain addserver 75.75.75.75
domain addserver 8.8.8.8
domain dns on
domain cache wait 30000
domain cache size 200
domain cache clean off
domain maxwait 30
domain start
#
# Now we setup a network connection between JNOS and Linux. This
# involves attaching the TUN interface, then configuring the JNOS
# side of it, waiting a couple of seconds, then finally configure
# the LINUX side of the TUN interface by shelling out from NOS.
#
attach tun tun0 1500 0
#
ifconfig tun0 ipaddress 192.168.128.130
ifconfig tun0 netmask 255.255.255.0
ifconfig tun0 mtu 1500
#
pause 2
#
shell ifconfig tun0 192.168.128.103 pointopoint 192.168.128.130 mtu 1500 up
shell arp -s 192.168.128.103 00:e0:18:7e:88:ca pub
#
# This next section turns on IP-IP or IP-UDP encapsulation, and is
# only required if you intend to handle the 44 (AMPRnet) traffic.
#
ifconfig encap ip 44.72.64.10
ifconfig encap mtu 1500
#
# I do not DEFAULT all my 44 traffic to my static host (which is
# presently Brian N1URO). I only route certain 44 subnets through
# him, the rest wind up going into the blackhole type of thing.
#
# Again, do not take the liberty of routing to these guys without
# first making prior arrangements with them. Note that I use the
# IP over UDP encapsulation (the extra 'udp' tag at the end of the
# following route commands) for my setup. For security reasons I
# have commented out these routes, and blocked out ip addresses
# of the gateway machines (X.X.X.X) - Examples only
#
# k2mf (barry), n1uro (brian)
#
#route add 44.64.20.0/24 encap X.X.X.X udp
#route add 44.88.40.0/24 encap X.X.X.X udp
#
# In the case of bob I go direct to his box, and he goes direct to
# me. No reason why you can't do this if it's point to point. The
# only reason for having a static host like Brian is for *full*
# connectivity to the internet and the reset of the world.
#
# ve3mch (bob)
#
#route add 44.135.85.0/24 encap Y.Y.Y.Y udp
#
# You can even encap route to a dynamic internet gateway - which is
# a gateway whose IP address changes from time to time - One can use
# a service like DYNDNS.ORG or similar to track the changes, and we
# can now make use of that domain name to keep our routes uptodate.
#
# uncomment the following and put in proper values if needed. If you
# need more routes, make more entries using the same format as below.
#
route add 44.72.64.10/24 encap aa9vi.no-ip.org
#
# I run Baycom's BCM 1.42n BAYBOX as a mailbox as well, on the same
# linux box as my JNOS. I interface the BCM with JNOS using an AXUDP
# link (on the one and same machine). Pay attention to ip numbers.
#
#attach axudp bcm 256 192.168.128.103 BCM 95 95
#ifconfig bcm description "link to my bbs (mailbox)"
#
# An older way to interface to the BAYBOX was using a pseudo-tty,
# in KISS mode, but I don't use that anymore. The next two lines
# were used to do it that way before I went the AXUDP route.
#
#attach asy ttypf - ax25 bcm 4096 256 38400
#param bcm TxDelay 0
#
# I used to monitor satellite packet with an old KPC-2 that was
# previously set to kiss mode. Note the word previously. You HAVE
# to make sure the TNC is in KISS mode before you do this attach.
#
#attach asy ttyUSB0 - ax25 sat 4096 256 9600 f
#ifconfig sat description "rf port on 145.825 mhz"
#
# There are commands available that you can put in your autoexec.nos
# file that switch the mode for you, but I don't do it that way. A
# simple GOOGLE search will locate those scripts without problem.
#
# ------------------------------------------------------
#  My HF Digital Devices (DXP38 and the SCS PTC II Pro)
# ------------------------------------------------------
#
#attach asy ttyUSB0 - ax25 dxp38 4096 256 9600
#ifconfig dxp38 description "HF - HalComm DXP38"
#
# If you want to use the DXP38 in P-MODE (Pactor 1), you have to
# uncomment the following entry or else the changeovers will not
# occur. If you want to use CLOVER mode, then leave uncommented.
#
#param dxp38 17 1
#
# The mode for the PTC is currently set to only Pactor (1,2,3). The
# 'param' entry for this interface must be left uncommented, or else
# the changeovers will never occur, and you'll get very cranky.
#
#attach asy ttyS2 - ax25 ptcpro 4096 256 115200
#ifconfig ptcpro description "HF - SCS PTC II Pro"
#param ptcpro 17 1
#
# CRITICAL entries for the HF Digital Devices - you MUST disable
# the ax25 and mailfor broadcasts on ALL HF interfaces. Failure to
# do this will mess up the serial communications to the modems,
# and you will get even more cranky, and things will not work.
#
#ax25 bcport dxp38 off
#mbox mport dxp38 off
#
#ax25 bcport ptcpro off
#mbox mport ptcpro off
#
# FINALLY - An AX25 1200 Baud RF interface. What ? This stuff still
# exists in year 2005 ? Darn rights it does (in Winnipeg anyways).
#
# This is a KISS (AX25) interface to a Paccomm TINY-2 running a
# version 1.3 SMACK eprom (yes you can do that). SMACK starts off
# as a standard KISS mode, and only bumps up when asked to do so.
#
# The nice thing about using an eprom is that I don't have to
# worry about switching the darn TNC from terminal mode to kiss
# mode.
#
# IMPORTANT: Make sure this is the LAST attach IF you want the
# default route to be this particular interface. The way default
# routes are assigned in JNOS is by the order of attach. The last
# attached interface apparently becomes the default route from
# that point on.
#
attach asy ttyUSB0 - ax25 vhf 4096 256 9600 f
ifconfig vhf description "RF port on 145.61 MHz"
#
param vhf 1 0
param vhf 2 256 # 128
param vhf 3 1
param vhf 5 1
#
# The following sets TX Delay to 250 milliseconds (25 x 10)
#
param vhf TxDelay 25
#
# If you plan on running the JNOS smtp server, there are a few
# commands available. You need to define an SMTP gateway, which
# should point to your ISP's smtp server. The JNOS smtp server
# is started later on in this file.
#
#smtp ga smtp.comcast.net
#
# To force JNOS to send ALL mail via your ISP's SMTP gateway,
# you MUST switch off the 'usemx' option - see Documentation.
#
#smtp usemx off
#smtp timer 300
#
# Start the JNOS services (there are more, but I only
# use the following on my development system).
#
start ax25
#start finger
#start smtp
start telnet
#
# Only start the following if you plan on doing forwarding
# of mail to other systems over AXIP, AXUDP, AX25, or HF. If
# you start the 'forward' service, you need to also make sure
# the 'smtp' service is running as well.
#
#start forward
#
# Users can request to talk to the SYSOP by entering the 'O'perator
# command at the BBS prompt while they are connected to JNOS. In order
# for this feature to work, you need to start the 'ttylink' service, and
# make sure that the system is 'attended' so that users are able to
# initiate a chat session with the sysop.
#
start ttylink
mbox attend on
#
# I have some custom routes that I want to use for my sole AX25 rf port,
# the one serviced by the Paccomm TINY-2 TNC. VE4RAG is a digipeater just
# outside the city of Winnipeg, and N0OJS-1 is a netrom node near the US
# border, south of Brandon. NO0JS-1 is reachable only when conditions are
# good, but what the heck.
#
# I run NOSaprs 2.0 on 145.01 (not conventional, but it's there to play),
# so I want my APRS frames to get out as far as possible. The destination
# call of 'apz200' is very important, and is used as the destination call
# by the NOSaprs 2.0 software.
#
ax25 route add apz200 vhf ns9rc-1
#
# I want the ax25 ID broadcasts (see the next section ax25 bctext, etc)
# to use the same digipeaters as well, so that people know I exist. JNOS
# uses the destination call of 'id' when broadcasting it's beacon.
#
#ax25 route add id vhf ve4rag n0ojs-1
#
# Configure the text, interval, and port (interface) to broadcast on
#
ax25 bctext "packet radio router - northbrook"
ax25 bcinterval 600
ax25 bc vhf
#
# ------------------------------------------------------
#  Wormholes (internet AX25 tunnels) to other systems.
#  NOTE : Always make prior arrangements with sysops of
#  the remote systems before you go attaching to them.
#  It's a security issue, and also shows courtesy !
# ------------------------------------------------------
#
# here's a link to our seniors club, whose IP address is constantly
# changing (they have a DSL connection). We use a DYNDNS type service
# to allow JNOS to periodically check if the ip address has changed.
#
#attach axudp wsc 256 someham.dyndns.org WSC
#ifconfig wsc description "link to seniors club"
#
# Direct fixed ip address AXUDP tunnels to N1URO and VE3MCH
#
#attach axudp uro 256 44.88.40.5 URO
#ifconfig uro description "link to n1uro"
#
#attach axudp mch 256 44.135.85.30 MCH
#ifconfig mch description "link to ve3mch"
#
# ---------------------------------------------------------------
#
# I run APRS services - NOSaprs 2.0 - I have commented out this
# entire section because you will need to change MOST entries to
# suite your own area and/or needs. You will need to put in your
# own callsigns, change all the position (coordinates) information,
# put in your own text broadcasts, and filter values, and so on.
#
# Don't rush this, take your time, make sure you have no mistakes,
# then uncomment the commands when ready to use it. You should ask
# yourself as well - do I really need to run this ???
#
# The complete documentation for this is at the following URL :
#
#    http://www.langelaar.net/projects/nosaprs
#
# ---------------------------------------------------------------
#
#aprs log /jnos/spool/log/aprs.log
#aprs interface vhf
#
#aprs logon call aa9vi-10
#
# I want the APRS Internet System to only send me traffic
# for stations that are within 300 KM, of my location. In my
# case, the city of Winnipeg is roughly 49d54m (Latitude)
# and -97d7m (Longitude).
#
#aprs logon filter r/50/-97/300
#
# Configure the Position and Status texts that are broadcast
# out to the APRS Internet System (APRS IS).
#
#aprs bc stat "internet gateway on 145.01 mhz"
#aprs bc pos "4953.22NI09718.35W&"
#aprs bc timer 1440
#
# Configure the Position and Status texts that are broadcast out
# the default APRS RF port (set by the aprs interface command).
#
#aprs bc rfstat "internet gateway"
#aprs bc rfpos "4953.22NI09718.35W&"
#aprs bc rftimer 30
#
# I don't use WX - following for development purposes only
#
#aprs wx call aa9vi-11
#aprs wx stat "Weather Station - Crestview District"
#aprs wx pos "4953.22N/09718.35W_"
#aprs wx data "/tmp/wx.data"
#aprs wx timer 30
#
# Heard table
#
#aprs hsize 10
#
# Stuff for the 14501 status page
#
#aprs contact h "http://www.langelaar.net"
#aprs locator "http://map.findu.com/"
#
# Connection to APRS internet system
#
#aprs server add 134.173.254.38 14580
#aprs server add 64.58.200.20 1314
#aprs server add 165.91.119.60 1314
#
# Potential APRS Clients
#
#aprs client add 44.135.124.62 14825
#
# IF you want to gate traffic to RF - BE VERY CAREFULL
# with these filters. You don't want to FLOOD your local
# frequencies with solid traffic. You've been warned !!
#
#aprs calls fwdtorf VE4 VA4 VE3JJ VE3HDU
#aprs calls postorf VE4 VA4 VE3JJ VE3HDU
#aprs calls stattorf VE4 VA4 VE3JJ VE3HDU
#aprs calls wxtorf VE4 VA4 S VE3JJ VE3HDU
#
# This next entry gives specific IP address(s) permission to use the
# browser based APRS message center to it's full capacity. By default,
# the message center allows READ-ONLY access (ie, you can't send).
#
#aprs calls ip45845 A.B.C.D X.Y.Z.Z
#
#aprs email local
#
# Activate the core NOSaprs service
#aprs listen on
#
# If you want the NOSaprs status page to be available,
# for example, 'http://localhost:14501'.
#start aprs 14501
#
# If you want the NOSaprs browser based message center
# for example, 'http://localhost:14845'.
#start aprs 45845
#
#  Finally - Start the HF server on the 'ptcpro' interface
#
#hfdd server ptcpro start
#