[nos-bbs] Comm port

N0MR n0mr at lakenet.com
Mon Apr 23 11:09:58 EDT 2012

Thanks all for the comments on comm ports. I'm having no problems with ports on Linux but a friend using Windows XP had a problem that started the questions.

We've concluded that USB to comm adaptors cannot be used on Windows XP. The interrupt involved is shared with other services and may be the reason it has not worked. We do not know of a way to force the interrupt to an unused number.

Second, we found that a four port comm board also uses sharred interrupts and even though we can force the interrupt to an unused number, it still did not work. Only single or double port cards have worked for us.

This is the Windows or DOS attach statement for com1

attach asy 0x3f8 4 ax25 vhf 2048 256 9600

Com1 through com4 using interrupts 3 and 4 with the associated software addresses are the only commands that worked for us. We have gone to a single port comm board and all is working fine. Again, this is Windows XP. Linux is much easier.

Thanks for all the comments.

Jerry, N0MR