[nos-bbs] Timewave PK96 beacons in KISS mode

Michael Fox - N6MEF n6mef at mefox.org
Wed Jan 19 01:51:06 EST 2011

All,

Does anyone know how to make a Timewave PK96 stop beaconing during KISS mode
operation?

Our Kantronics KPC3 and Kenwood TM-D710 TNCs stop beaconing when placed into
KISS mode and start again when KISS mode is exited.  We configure a
different beacon message for the TNC than the one on JNOS, so that we can
see the message change and know the TNC dropped out of KISS mode.

But the Timewave continues to beacon even during KISS.  How annoying, since
it really ought to be nothing more than a modem/bit-pipe in KISS mode.  I've
scoured the manual but can't find anything that would change the behavior.
Tried RESET (to factory defaults) but if I then set a BTEXT and BEACON AFTER
value, then enter KISS mode, it still beacons.  RRRRR.  Any ideas?

Michael

N6MEF