[nos-bbs] trace files

Michael Fox - N6MEF n6mef at mefox.org
Wed Sep 22 19:34:28 EDT 2010

Interesting Maiko.

I would have assumed that JNOS decodes the packet and then hands it off  -
either to the display routine or to the OS file handler.  Either way, after
decoding the packet and handing it off, I would have assumed the impact on
JNOS would be the same and that it's then up to the display routine or the
OS to write the output.

We know the OS can log things very quickly.  The voluminous messages at boot
time are generated and logged in real time. (And that's on an ancient laptop
with 512MB of memory!)

With today's processors and disk speeds, in my day job, I know that large
volumes of debugging info can be written in real time with very little
degradation in performance.  TCPdump and other such applications can capture
lots of data at Mbps speed - much more stressful than 1200 bps.  So I wonder
if what you saw was simply due to a very underpowered machine.  Or I wonder
if it's a limitation of DOS.  And I wonder why writing to a file is slower
than writing to the screen (again, from the JNOS perspective - since the OS
will handle the I/O buffering).

I realize I could close the trace, but then it's stopped.  What I'm trying
to do is watch the traffic as it comes in.  The F9 session is useless for
that since after three packets or so, it scrolls of the screen and is lost.
And, right now, the log file is useless for this purpose, because there's
nothing in it until much, much later.  So, right now, I'm stuck.  I'm hoping
you can have a look at it in the near future.

Thanks,
Michael
N6MEF