[nos-bbs] trace files

Maiko Langelaar maiko at pcs.mb.ca
Wed Sep 22 17:19:08 EDT 2010

> how long/much does it buffer [snip] what possible purpose ?

If one were to FLUSH every single call to the trace file or socket,
you might see a fairly large degradation in JNOS performance on a
whole. I may have tried (just for the fun of it) a few years ago
to do just that, let me tell me, JNOS was not able to handle any
incoming packets at all. It just stalled out.

Now, mind you, I didn't give it alot of thought as to how I did
it back then. I can certainly look into it. You will always pay
a price for the so called 'value' in something.

I have a similar complaint, sometimes I need to see things on
the fly, and the best approach right now is to close the trace
when you have passed the event that you wanted to trace.

Maiko