[nos-bbs] Unanswered emails & tracking REJ, FRMR, RNR, RR, AX25 performance

Maiko Langelaar maiko at pcs.mb.ca
Mon Oct 18 13:18:43 EDT 2010

Good day to all,

First of all, I must apologize for my extreme slowness in
answering (or yet to answer) outstanding emails. Been a bit
burnt out lately, and unfortunately when this happens my desire
to attend to outstanding emails (about packet radio) withers.

It's not intentional, it's just a human's way of automatically
defending against overheating of the brain and nervous system,
and I will get to them shortly.

The main reason for this post has to do with me getting my baycom
board fixed and working again. One of the things I noticed in the
traces got me thinking. There really is no way to track RR, RNR,
REJ, FRMR, and other packet statistics in NOS, is there ? If I
could collect those stats on a per station basis, perhaps it
would help me in optimizing the parameters (like drive levels,
volume control, etc, etc). The reason I bring in 'per station'
as a basis is many times there are problems specific to only
my station and someone else.

Any comments ? Has anyone ever tracked this stuff ? It would
take very little to add statistics code to JNOS to collect
this information, so that it could be graphed. I would like
to do it, so that I can better fine tune my baycom board
for instance.

Or perhaps I am being too presumptious in saying that drive
and volume levels have a direct correlation to the number of
FRMR packets received ? In the end I just to be able to get
more information to help me optimize my links.

73 Maiko Langelaar / VE4KLM