[nos-bbs] ubuntu 9.1 compiles OK now, but...

Wm Lewis thunderft at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 26 21:42:00 EST 2010

Bob:

Can we see a copy of your "dojnos" file ?

I call up a file named "startnos". Here it is

=======================================
cd /jnos
rm -f /jnos/spool/mqueue/*.lck 2> /dev/null
rm -f /jnos/spool/mail/*.lck 2> /dev/null
sleep 1
export TZ=EST5EDT
export TERM=linux
exec ./jnos -d/jnos -v
=======================================

I'm running Ubuntu 10.04.1

I tried using tty5 as my test console. Still no joy.

First, Ubuntu would not run "startnos" until I manually flagged it an executable file.

Then in my "startnos file" I had to comment out the line "export TERM=linux". Ubuntu doesn't seem to like it from inside "startnos".

Then, I also had to comment out the "sleep 1". When running from the "startnos" Ubuntu also does not like it.

Although, if I'm at the terminal command line myself and type either one manually, Ubuntu seems fine with them. Go figure.

So, from tty5 (brought up by f5) I can "cd /jnos" and then can also "./startnos" and JNOS boots up.
If I "exit"  JNOS, it does not respawn in tty5 at all. I just get dropped back to the /jnos directory at the command line.

When I change the tty5.conf  file to attempt to kick JNOS on boot, (since I can manually do it from the command line as above) I can access  tty1 through tty4, and tty6 and tty7(GUI).  tty5 is just has a blinking cursor line with nothing happening....ever.

Here is my revised tty5.conf file

=====================================
# tty5 - getty
#
# This service maintains a getty on tty5 from the point the system is
# started until it is shut down again.

start on runlevel [23]
stop on runlevel [!23]

respawn
exec /jnos/startnos tty5
# exec /sbin/getty -8 38400 tty5

I know I'm close. Just cant seem to get tty5 to run JNOS

Also, I'm new to linux, so all of this is a huge learning curve for me.

73,

Bill - de KG6BAJ