[nos-bbs] ubuntu 9.1 compiles OK now, but...

Bob Tenty bobtenty at gmail.com
Fri Nov 26 18:10:01 EST 2010

In Ubuntu the consoles/ virtual tty's are started from

/etc/init/

Editing tty5.conf  for example (jnos running as "root")

# tty5 - getty
#
# This service maintains a getty on tty5 from the point the system is
# started until it is shut down again.

start on runlevel [23]
stop on runlevel [!23]

respawn
#exec /sbin/getty -8 38400 tty5
exec /srv/home-remote/hamradio/jnos/dojnos

"dojnos" is a bash/sh file that starts jnos in a console/virtual tty

To start the jnos executable "jnos" directly in console/virtual tty5

Replace the last line with:

exec /srv/home-remote/hamradio/jnos/jnos  tty5

Older versions  of Ubuntu use the directory /etc/event.d/

For example:

editing the file "tty5"

# tty5 - getty
#
# This service maintains a getty on tty5 from the point the system is
# started until it is shut down again.

start on runlevel 2
start on runlevel 3

stop on runlevel 0
stop on runlevel 1
stop on runlevel 4
stop on runlevel 5
stop on runlevel 6

respawn
# exec /sbin/getty 38400 tty5
exec /bin/su - hamradio -c "/srv/home-remote/hamradio/jnos/dojnos"

The last line can be replaced for user "root" with:

exec /bin/su - root -c "/srv/home-remote/hamradio/jnos/dojnos"

or just..

exec /srv/home-remote/hamradio/jnos/dojnos

or without bash file "dojnos"  and using the jnos executable "jnos"
directly:

exec /srv/home-remote/hamradio/jnos/jnos  tty5

73,

Bob VE3TOK