[nos-bbs] Update - Timer issues in JNOS

Jay Nugent jjn at nuge.com
Wed Aug 4 23:51:58 EDT 2010

Greeting Maiko (et al),

On Wed, 4 Aug 2010, George [ham] VerDuin wrote:

> Right on Maiko...
>

> On 08/04/2010 02:45 PM, Maiko Langelaar wrote:
> > Skip,
> >
> >> it seems to me that DOS users have not chimed in ...
> >
> > Funny you mention DOS,

   The DOS version (2.0a in particular) does not appear to be burdened by
this timer issue.   We have had DOS-based JNOS nodes run for in some cases
HUNDREDS of days and NOT shown any signs of problems.   They continue to
show sane uptimes, the beacons go out every 1900 seconds, the SMTP timer
values continue to count normally.   Never a glitch.

   Can't say I have any data regarding NetROM timers and EXPIRE or any
timers related to Heirarchical forwarding -- as we don't use any of them.
But all other functions and timers have never showed any issues.  It is
not, and it has not been, uncommon to run JNOS nodes unattended for many
many months on end without reboot.  This *may* be a recent discovery of a
fairly recent bug.  Do Linux-based nodes *REALLY* not stay up long enough
to have noticed this, if it has been in the code for a long time???

   This does make me wonder - if the code base is the same DOS -vs- Linux,
then is the compiler doing something different when setting up these
counters??  Compilers have been known to have quirks...

   Thanks for your fine work, Maiko :)

      --- Jay Nugent  WB8TKL
          Chair, ARRL Michigan Section "Digital Radio Group" (DRG)

Train how you will Operate, and you will Operate how you were Trained.
| Jay Nugent   jjn at nuge.com    (734)484-5105    (734)649-0850/Cell       |
|   Nugent Telecommunications  [www.nuge.com]                            |
|   Internet Consulting/Linux SysAdmin/Engineering & Design/ISP Reseller |
| ISP Monitoring [www.ispmonitor.org] ISP & Modem Performance Monitoring |
| Web-Pegasus    [www.webpegasus.com] Web Hosting/DNS Hosting/Shell Accts|