[nos-bbs] Node software

Miroslav Skoric skoric at uns.ac.rs
Mon Aug 2 14:03:26 EDT 2010

On 8/2/2010 5:34 AM, Jim Smith wrote:

> Ok, so the chapter is about virtual environments wherein you model the
> actions of hardware operated in a network. So far, so good, what you are
> looking for is something like NetSIM.

Ok, let's say it that way - something like that, though I am not
familiar with NetSIM package. Actually I do not plan to go deeply inside
the matter. My idea is to see a wired LAN, having at least two
DOS/Windows/Linux comps, running BPQ (or BPQ32) 'pretending' to run
hardware nodes. When I say 'hardware nodes', I mean of comps without any
modem/TNC + radio in function (no RF output yet). I did it with
BPQ/BPQ32 in my home LAN and I am interested in seeing something else in
a LAN (say, two JNOS comps, or BPQ node + JNOS node, or JNOS node +
Flexnet node, etc) All that stuff must work in a closed LAN and be
capable to accept incoming connection request from console (like BPQ or
BPQ32 do from local keyboards). And after you 'connect' to your local
'node' at first, then you issue an outgoing connection request to the
other 'node' in a LAN, etc.

> When you run<insert software package here> on a computer, you *have* the
> real hardware nodes. For example, if BPQ software is run on a computer,
> you already have a real hardware node.

As said, I consider as a 'real hardware node' only that which has a
modem/TNC+radio on it and that is interconnected withing a network via
RF. But it is just my naming convention. Call it whatever you like :-)

> BPQ/JNOS/TNOS/<insert software package here> on a random bit of PC
> hardware under DOS/Windows/Linux/<insert OS here> and hooking it up via
> ethernet rather than RF.

Those examples above might fit.

> Your example doesn't quite mesh with your request. It may be a language
> thing.

Probably.

> The closest example that fits the request that I can envision is
> documentation on how to instantiate multiple copies of JNOS on a Linux
> box and control the interaction with routing or virtual circuits of some
> type. I see possible problems with that scenario, but it may be indeed a
> viable way of simulating networks of nodes.

I think that running multiple copies of JNOS on a Linux is beyond my
expertise now. I ran only one instance of JNOS bbs on a DOS box in the
past and I recall it had an AXIP tunnel to a LinFBB box. Since then I
reinstalled my comps and did not try it again.

> Cheers!
>
> Jim N8AVX
> One problem is how to model the RF link. I would want to control
> throughput, error rates, random interference, and channel congestion as
> a minimum.

Well at the moment I am not going so far. Just wanted to see various
experiences with two or more boxes in a wired LAN, as a possible
suggestion for existing computer labs in schools or so. It should serve
just to simulate 'real nodes on mountain hills' in a classroom and show
the kids what ham packet is. So that's why I asked for available written
resources - to compare them and see what scenario might be appropriate
for a showroom (without TNC/RF in use).

Misko YT7MPB