[nos-bbs] Node software

Jim Smith lanshark at charter.net
Sun Aug 1 23:34:07 EDT 2010

Ok, so the chapter is about virtual environments wherein you model the actions of hardware operated in a network. So far, so good, what you are looking for is something like NetSIM.

When you run<insert software package here>  on a computer, you *have* the real hardware nodes. For example, if BPQ software is run on a computer, you already have a real hardware node. I think you are confusing things like simulating a Cisco router network in NetSIM with running BPQ/JNOS/TNOS/<insert software package here>  on a random bit of PC hardware under DOS/Windows/Linux/<insert OS here>  and hooking it up via ethernet rather than RF.

Your example doesn't quite mesh with your request. It may be a language thing.

The closest example that fits the request that I can envision is documentation on how to instantiate multiple copies of JNOS on a Linux box and control the interaction with routing or virtual circuits of some type. I see possible problems with that scenario, but it may be indeed a viable way of simulating networks of nodes.

Cheers!

Jim N8AVX
One problem is how to model the RF link. I would want to control throughput, error rates, random interference, and channel congestion as a minimum.