[nos-bbs] POP3 from GMAIL

Bill V WA7NWP wa7nwp at gmail.com
Mon May 25 18:26:47 EDT 2009

Here's yet another little piece of the big project..

I don't want to sit the JNOS packet systems  (slow and less then the
greatest spam handling) right on the Internet.  That's more the job
for a well tuned NIX server.  Settingup such a server isn't out of
reach these days but it is a significant effort.   Now if only there
was a free system that already did that we could leverage.   Hmmmm.

Once again - thank you Google for Gmail...   Great spam filtering,
rich set of features, pop3 access and best of all - the price is
right.

One of the obscure gmail features may be just the magic bullet that
makes this really work.

Anything after a "+" in the address is ignored.  So if I wanted to see
who was mining the nos-bbs mailist I could register as
"wa7nwp+nosbbs at gmail.com".   The email would all come to
wa7nwp at gmail.com but it would have the extra info of "+nosbbs" text
for filtering.

We should be able to use that for a jnos system...    Thus to send
email to the n7yge packet mailbox, simply address the message to:
nwpnos+n7yge at gmail.com.  In NOS we'd have a rewrite rule for this
incoming Email of:

  nwpnos+*@gmail.com $1  (r maybe?)

So the gmail addressing is stripped and all that's left is the destination..

Good plan so far eh?

First gotcha - GMAIL uses SSL for POP access.   That took a bit of
research but stunnel is our friend and now I can use the JNOS
popclient function to get Email from Gmail.   (Turn off LZW...  :-)  )

But now I'm stuck and maybe a guru here has a solution.   The JNOS
popclient doesn't run the fetched email through the JNOS  smtp system
which uses the rewrite rules.  Popclient messages are simply dropped
in a mailbox folder as is.   This might not be a bad solution for
filtered incoming Email but I'd like it to be fully automatic.  Does
anybody have an idea how to tweak the process so my popclient incoming
mail is handled by SMTP?     Best I can come up with so far is to run
the import process on the mailbox file...

Thanks again!!!
73
Bill - WA7NWP