[nos-bbs] JNOS 111f - DOS

Bob Tenty bobtenty at gmail.com
Tue Dec 29 06:43:36 EST 2009

Memory issues with jnos for dos.

Switch everything (undef) off in the config.h what you don't need or can
do without to
reduce the memory demands.
(Some will save more as others - needs experimentation)

Try to increase the conventional memory (the first 640 k of your pc) in
DOS with a memory manager.
A memory manager will find the "holes" between 640 - 1024 k and 'add' it
to the conventional memory
so that jnos can use it.
Remember that jnos for dos runs only in conventional memory so it makes
no difference
if you add physically more ram to your computer as jnos runs only in
this conventional memory.

jnos for dos is more stable if you have at least 120 k working memory
free in the  status window.
(top of jnos screen)
This means sacrificing some features in jnos. (= undefine )

Also it is wise to limit the number of netrom nodes displayed in the
netrom list to save on memory.
(same is valid for xrouter)

Limit the number of possible sessions.

About 'open relay'

Jnos will not function as an 'open relay' if 'SMTP_DENY_RELAY' is defined
in config.h

#define SMTP_DENY_RELAY /* Refuse to relay msgs from hosts not in our
subnets */

This prevents 'open relay', so relaying of spam not in our subnet but
not spam to the jnos mailbox
users itself.

(I direct all my mail with MX  records in the dns to a linux mail server
what checks the mail
for spam and forwards it  o jnos)

It also wise to have..

#define SMTP_VALIDATE_LOCAL_USERS /* local user must be in
ftpusers/popusers/users.dat */

73,

Bob VE3TOK