[nos-bbs] JNOS 111f - DOS

Jay Nugent jjn at nuge.com
Mon Dec 28 04:24:29 EST 2009

Greetings Bill,

On Fri, 25 Dec 2009, Wm Lewis wrote:

> Just switched from Xrouter (ran great, no issues... and no BBS) over to JNOS 1.11f for DOS
>
> Keep running into memory issuse / lockups
>
> Anyone running DOS version out there that could start elmering this JNOS
> newbie in how to get the most from dos, and prevent all the lockups?

   Is this JNOS box connected to the Internet?  If so, you *WILL* want to
add a few 'tcp access' rules to block incoming SMTP email.  JNOS *is* an
Open Relay and will fill with SMTP spam attacks quite quickly which will
drive it to its knees.  Do an 'smpt list' to see if there is a ton of
pending email deliveries in the mail queue...

   My second suggestion would be to use the version 2.0 version of the
JNOS code.  Maiko has fixed a number of bugs that were in the JNOS 1.11
code when he released 2.0, and I HIGHLY suggest moving to it.  There is a
link to Maiko's website in the "JNOS" section of the WWW.MI-DRG.ORG
website.

   Good luck!
      --- Jay Nugent  WB8TKL
          o Chair, ARRL Michigan Section "Digital Radio Group" (DRG)
            [www.MI-DRG.org]

Train how you will Operate, and you will Operate how you were Trained.
| Jay Nugent   jjn at nuge.com    (734)484-5105    (734)649-0850/Cell       |
|   Nugent Telecommunications  [www.nuge.com]                            |
|   Internet Consulting/Linux SysAdmin/Engineering & Design/ISP Reseller |
| ISP Monitoring [www.ispmonitor.org] ISP & Modem Performance Monitoring |
| Web-Pegasus    [www.webpegasus.com] Web Hosting/DNS Hosting/Shell Accts|