[nos-bbs] Questions related to JNOS 1.11f

Bob Tenty bobtenty at gmail.com
Sun Sep 14 05:34:04 EDT 2008

Hi Misko,

Yes, you have a low memory problem.

Use only a minimal compile of jnos with dos.

Upper memory area (UMA) between 640k - 1 MByte.
is useless for JNOS in a 80286 with dos.
You have utilities like QRAM but that is only to load certain
dos device drivers high.
Jnos runs almost everything in conventional memory.

Defining XMS (memory above 1 MB) and EMS in the jnos compile didn't help
me much at that time.

I shouldn't load bpq on top of that as there is already not much free
memory left for jnos in a 286 even not when you load the data portion of
bpq high in EMS (if you have this)

You may opt to use DESQVIEW as that could be configured for a 286 with
2MByte memory and run jnos and bpq in separate shells.

I should at least use a 386 in general with jnos under dos as you can
add "the  holes" between 640 - 1 Mbyte (UMA)
to the conventional memory (< 640 k)  with a memory manager so that the
free memory for jnos will rise.

I had at least 120 KB free in that way for jnos what greatly increased
its stability.

Even with a 386 I shouldn't load bpq on top jnos because of the free
memory issue and use DESQVIEW, etc as a 386 + is more suited for that by
design

and please limit the netrom table to keep sufficient free memory in jnos.

73,

Bob VE3TOK