[nos-bbs] Questions related to JNOS 2.0f

Jay Nugent jjn at nuge.com
Sun Oct 19 12:13:18 EDT 2008

Greetings,

On Sun, 19 Oct 2008, Miroslav Skoric wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have been experimenting with SMTP/POP3 servers in JNOS 2.0f for DOS,
> using various mail user agents for Windows in the same LAN (Thunderbird
> 2.0.0.17 and OE 6). I am capable to send emails without problems, but
> whenever I try to get the emails from JNOS something like that occurs:
>
> > There was a problem logging onto your mail server. Your Password was rejected. Account: '192.168.1.2', Server: '192.168.1.2', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR Access DENIED!!', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC92
>
> I tried with various entries in FTPUSERS, like this:
>
> <callsign> <password> /jnos/spool/mail 16511 #or
> <callsign> <password> /jnos 16511 #or even
> <callsign> <password> / 16511
>
> and entries within POPUSERS like this:
>
> <callsign> <password> #callsigns and passwords as in FTPUSERS
>
> ... but receiving messages always fail.
>
> Btw, I also checked the content within /jnos/spool/mail directory and
> found, for an example, <callsign>.TXT having all incoming messages,
> incl. complete headers from the mail user agents mentioned etc.
>
> Any suggestion?

   POP does not use the /NOS/FTPUSERS file for its passwords.  It uses
/POPUSERS.  The format of that file contains colons (:) like this:

   wb8tkl:jay:
   wa8efk:dale:
   w1aw:hirim:

      --- Jay Nugent  WB8TKL

said:    "Would you like fries with that emergency communication?"
| Jay Nugent   jjn at nuge.com    (734)484-5105    (734)544-4326/Fax        |
| Nugent Telecommunications  [www.nuge.com]     (734)649-0850/Cell       |
|   Internet Consulting/Linux SysAdmin/Engineering & Design/ISP Reseller |
| ISP Monitoring [www.ispmonitor.net] ISP & Modem Performance Monitoring |
| Web-Pegasus    [www.webpegasus.com] Web Hosting/DNS Hosting/Shell Accts|
| LinuxNIC, Inc. [www.linuxnic.net]   Registrar of the .linux TLD        |