[nos-bbs] B2F (compression) success !!!

Bill Vodall WA7NWP wa7nwp at gmail.com
Sat Mar 29 12:06:46 EDT 2008

>  JNOS *will* very soon support B2F, including attachments, etc.

That is very cool!!!

>  Be careful. From a technical point of view, there is really very
>  little different between the 'legacy BBS forwarding' you refer to,
>  and the latest enhanced BBS forwarding offered by WinLink. The only
>  difference that I see is the addition of a 2 byte CRC to checksum
>  the compressed payload, and the mail headers are now completely
>  contained in the payload, and no longer part of the FBB proposal.

Yes.  It's not a big difference.  I was thinking of seeing what could
be done easily by pretending to be B2F and just not supporting the
attachments.   Now I don't have to try that.

>  That's it. I actually like the B2F method, the multiple recipients,
>  the attachments, etc. I'm looking forward to getting this working.

It's a good enhancement..

>  > if a stripped down version of JNOS was built ... it would
>  > essentially be Airmail with B1, but not B2F forwarding ...
>
>  Why ? By doing that you exclude JNOS from any possibility of
>  integrating with the more modern systems. That's important, don't
>  you think ?

I'm just describing Airmail - not making a suggestion for JNOS.   When
JNOS gets B2F it'll be time to put the "server" functionality of
Airmail on the shelf and relegate it (Airmail) to the easy packet
client mode.

>  > they have "simplified packet," sped it up ...
>
>  You mean you can speed up packet by changing applications :)

Sure.  Raw bandwidth remains the same but it can be used differently.
Simply send a message with B1 BBS forwarding and then send it again
with TCP - both on 1200 baud.  The difference is vast.  (And no - I
doubt the B2F will give any gain..  Which is why we should look at
creating B3G (ha ha) to use a modern compression scheme and gain
another 30% or 40%.)

>  Maiko Langelaar / VE4KLM

Bill WA7NWP